Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thing #7 Content Saving & Sharing

Pinterest! Oh how I love Pinterest. I have many boards and pins, and pinners to follow. I recently read a funny quote that "Pinterest-ing is the new Googling". I find that to be true when I am looking for recipes, craft ideas, inspiration for family photography and gift ideas. I store many recipes here, and ideas for future projects to do with my kids.
What I like about the Boards is that you get to see a visual cue to what the Pin contains- either a picture of the finished product or a set of several pictures showing the steps involved in making whatever it is. Sometimes that visual reminder is enough to get you to click on that link again to see why you saved it in the first place. Healthy muffins is much more exciting when accompanied by a mouthwatering picture!
I often neglect searching by category, and instead type in some sort of keyword search. Many hours can be wasted away jumping from Pin to Pin, Board to Board- fantasizing about having the time to cook/bake/create all of the ideas collected in my Pinterest account!
I have not used Pinterest for work, but am aware of others who use it to collect ideas for storytime, library programming, etc... It is a multiple purpose tool. Out of curiosity I used the link on 23 Things to checkout how the Owatonna Public Library uses Pinterest. My first surprise was how many boards there are! What a great way to push Staff Picks or other topical reading lists!

No comments: