Friday, May 30, 2014

Thing #11 Library & Reference

Dakota County's library app is called 'DCL mobile'. I admit that since I work in the library the majority of my searching/request placing, etc...happens while at work! I am taking some time to look at our app with the eyes of a beginning user! The first thing that caught my eye is the 'ISBN scanner' feature. Well... several minutes later this was a bust. I could not get it to recognize any of the barcodes of books on my desk! I did type in the barcode for 'Eleanor & Park' and got results for the ebook and regular print version owned by DCL. Nice! There are options to request and also the availability and location is shown for the print copies. Other things I liked about our site include the quick links to the catalog, events calendar and my account. Also listed is our facebook page- one more way to raise our social media visibility!

Other library apps used by Dakota County include 3M and Overdrive for books, Zinio for magazines, and OneClick for audiobooks. Within the DCL mobile app there is an area for ebook that separates out the ebooks that are available for immediate checkout. How helpful!! I immediately tried this and found a flaw- many of the books were only available to place holds on. Darn!

This 'thing' was a great excuse to spend some more time with the mobile apps offered by Dakota County Library!

No comments: