Thursday, June 12, 2008

Podcasting...

Listening to Cody's podcast was my first expereince with this web 2.0 tool, unless you also count Chris' earlier asynchronous lectures? Anyway, being new to this type of media I had to search for my recommendation...
1. Podcast recommendation
NPR Booktalk
is hosted by Alan Farley who talks with authors about their work and their lives, with their latest book as the starting point for this weekly podcast, 30 minutes in length.
Even though I am not a regular listener, and only listened to this for the first time for this assignment, I found it to be a very enjoyable podcast which coincided with one of my ideas for a podcast below...

2. A good idea for a podcast:
Library news, events, author booktalks, weekely readers' advisory on specific topics each week, etc... The ideas are probably endless, but since I am currently in the readers' advisory class it would be fun for a library to publish weekly "What to Read Next" segments for each of the genres. I'm sure people would tune in!

3. Do not use podcasts for:
As specifcally mentioned in one of the articles, podcasts have failed as an alternative to library tours unless the user is actually at the library. Most users of podcasts access them outside of the library....
Also, a podcast about rules and policies would probably be a bad idea simply because it may be very dull.

No comments: