Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Thing #17 Connecting to Community

Wow, what a cool 'Thing'!! I have not explored any local apps prior to this, and I am so excited to try out the following Minnesota-centric Apps:
Minneapolis Skyway
Going Out
Minnesota 511
Explore Minnesota
Minnesota State Fair

I will start with 'Going Out' by the Star Tribune since it seems like it may be similar to what is published in the newspaper highlighting local events. I first searched for 'Family entertainment' and learned that you can sort by zip code, 'near current location, event, or venue. I quickly found the upcoming Eagan Art Festival and also music events at Eagan's Central Park. Also advertised is the Eagan Funfest over the 4th of July.
The movie section was also useful  to learn about movies that are currently in theaters, coming soon, and an option to find nearby theaters. I also liked what I saw in the restaurant section- provides all the necessary info for restaurants close to your current location- great for when you are in a new area and need to find some lunch or dinner options! All the information I found was accurate and useful! This would be a perfect place to post information about library events for families like our recent Rhythm and Words children's event in Burnsville! I think I will use this app in the future, it was fun to explore!

I will be sure to install the Minnesota State Fair app in late August :-)

No comments: